[vfio-users] VFIO and passed through devices show as removable/hotpluggable

Muted Bytes mutedbytes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 21:54:03 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I am running recently upgraded Windows 10 VM using kvm in kernel 4.4 and
qemu 2.5.0, with OVMF. Guest OS is installed to a physical HDD and passed
through to guest as a scsi-block drive on virtio-scsi-pci device. Physical
GPU, NIC, USB card, and PCI audio cards are also all being passed through
to guest using vfio-pci. However, I noticed that all of these
passed-through devices, including the virtio-scsi controller, are showing
up as removable devices in the guest.

Ultimately, I think this is problematic for me because the hard drive
containing guest OS also shows up as removable, and preventing Windows from
doing normal things such as pagefile creation. How to handle this? Is this
normal?

Regards,
MB