[vfio-users] Brutal DPC Latency - how is yours? check it please and report back

Milos Kaurin milos.kaurin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 12:18:48 UTC 2016

Hello guys,

I just tested with Quentin's method, and did some more tests in general

Key things to note:
1. I use an Nvidia card
2. I don't pass through individual USB devices,
   I pass an entire USB3 controller (PCI)

Here are my results:

Bare metal:
FPS: 48.7
Score: 2036
Min FPS: 23.4
Max FPS: 90.6
DPS:  Floats around ~1042µs
DPS absolute max: 1545µs (rare occurrence)
DPS polling is at 500µs

pin/shield/hugetables/cpu 1x3x1 (Quentin's best-scenario use):
FPS: 48.1
Score: 2011
Min FPS: 22.7
Max FPS: 92.3
DPS: Floats around ~1042µs,
DPS absolute max 2043µs (rare occurrence).
DPS polling is at 976µs

pin/cpuisol/hugetables/cpu 1x3x2 (cpuisol instead of shield script)
FPS: 47.9~
Score: 2005~
Min FPS: 19.7~
Max FPS: 91.5~
DPS: Floats around ~2000, unstable!
DPS absolute max 22k (rare occurrence, but happens more often than other tests).
DPS polling is at 476µs

nopin/hugetables/cpu 1x4x2 (My old use)
FPS: 47.9
Score: 2005
Min FPS: 19.7
Max FPS: 91.5
DPS: Floats around ~1145µs,
DPS absolute max 12025µs (rare occurrence).
DPS polling is at 976µs

pin/hugetables/cpu 1x3x2 (My new preffered)
FPS: 47.9~
Score: 2011
Min FPS: 19.7~
Max FPS: 91.5~
DPS: Floats around ~1145µs,
DPS absolute max 12025µs (rare occurrence).
DPS polling is at 976µs

Other notes:
* Pinning IOthreads and/or emulator doesn't do much for DPC/performance
   - Didn't put any load on the host, though. It might have impact if the host
     has some load
* Even though I get best DPC/performance with Quentin's use, I don't see any
  reason to not use my old nopin 1x4x2 or pin 1x3x2 as I obviously don't
  have the same performance issues
* I have been playing quite a lot of Rocket League and some Fallout 4, without
  noticing any kind of sound/graphics issues.

Quentin, this might be specific to your hardware. Let me know if you want me to
run more tests.

Regards,
Milos