[vfio-users] How do i get rid of the emulated gpu?

Nicolas Roy-Renaud nicolas.roy-renaud.1 at ens.etsmtl.ca
Thu Jan 21 20:11:50 UTC 2016

You're probably talking about the QXL video adapter. Virt-manager won't
let you remove it if your guest needs anything that relies on it (I'm
guessing libvirt stops it from doing that, but neither of them is
especially verbose). You can't remove it until you've also removed the
Spice virtual display (which also includes a virtual keyboard and
mouse). If you want to control your VM from the host past that point,
you'll need a VNC or spice server running directly on the guest, as
libvirt can't attach virtual displays on node devices (like your GPU).

Disabling the virtual monitor connected to that QXL adapter works just
as well, though, and it ensures that if anything bad happens, Windows
won't complain about you trying to run a headless system (because it can
just use said virtual GPU until your passthrough kicks in).