[vfio-users] help with choice of GPU for passthrough

Bronek Kozicki brok at spamcop.net
Mon Jan 25 21:57:58 UTC 2016

I'm upgrading my home machine, it is running two Windows 7 VMs and they
need identical hardware configuration. The host is 2x Xeon E5-2667V2 +
128GB RAM - obviously oversized for only two Windows ;-P . I'm
considering choice between Radeon Fury Nano and more expensive nVidia. I
know that Radeons have problem with PCIe reset (in kernel 4.1.15 + qemu
2.4.1), is this likely to have been solved in a newer version I am not
using yet/not written yet?

If not, then I will consider switching to nVidia but the problem here is
the price, obviously. For the price only "little" higher than Nano I can
buy Quadro M4000 but Id rather have more performance. I wonder whether
nVidia played silly games disabling its drivers under vfio with Titan X
- that would be a very nice option. I do not want to spend more than
$1300 per card.

Any advice?

B.

PS Feel free to cite me to AMD support, they may possibly lose my brand
loyalty due to broken PCIe reset - I'm just too tired of not being able
to reliably reset my VMs. Even if I need to pay more for worse performance.