[vfio-users] Stability issues with GTX 970 and GTX 660, Nvidia driver crashes often, seemingly under load

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 19:28:24 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Torbjorn Jansson <
torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se> wrote:

> On 2016-07-07 20:01, Brian Yglesias wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to get GPU passthrough to work more reliably for a few
>> days.
>>
>> I have an Asus Rampage III Forumula (X58 chipset LGA1366) with latest
>> bios, Xeon X5670, kernel 4.4.13, quemu 2.5.1.1.  I'm passing through a GTX
>> 660 and a GTX 970, sometimes to two different VMs, and sometimes to the
>> same one.
>>

> i have a gtx970 and it works pretty well for gpu passthru.
> but i'm not so sure a 660 will work and i suspect you will have reset
> issues.

Seems to be some growing FUD with nvidia and reset issues.  AFAIK, there
are no reset issues for Kepler and newer cards, including the 660.  Fermi
cards always seem to cause problems, but I don't necessarily think it's
reset related.  Reset problems on nvidia are more likely a result of trying
to assign the primary host graphics or getting the card into a bad state
with host graphics drivers.  I have a GTX660, it doesn't get used often for
this purpose but IIRC, it works just fine.