[vfio-users] RocketRaid 1144c / AsMedia 1042a

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 19:36:46 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 7:45 PM, Nick Rodgers <dotbatman at nerdfortress.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the response, Alex. Quirking the reset fixed the device (Sonnet
> Allegro Pro) between reboots!

Great, should we add that quirk upstream?  Looking at pciids, I assume you
just added:

DECLARE_PCI_FIXUP_HEADER(0x1b73, 0x1100, quirk_no_bus_reset);

To the quirks.c file, please confirm.

> So far they seem stable in my VMs, but dmesg is generating these messages
> when I first start the VM:
>
> vfio-pci 0000:04:00.0: irq bypass producer (token ffff880371a19c80)
> registration fails: -22 (several times)
> kvm: zapping shadow pages for mmio generation wraparound
> kvm: zapping shadow pages for mmio generation wraparound
> vfio-pci 0000:05:00.0: irq bypass producer (token ffff8804441cd000)
> registration fails: -22 (several times)
>
> Are these messages I should be concerned about? Otherwise my testing looks
> good. I've gotten 100+mb/sec transfers on two VMs concurrently using
> different controllers.

No, the wraparound is just spam from the kernel, the irq bypass thing is
because you're on AMD and it doesn't get as much testing as Intel, fixed by:

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=b52f3ed02221252d8ee2c7d756e76fad4a5e84f6
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=14717e2031862d9aa2512b24a7df42cf68a977ec

> With regards to the Renesas devices on the Startech board, they were all
> bound to vfio-pci. Should I try pci-stub instead?

The suggestion with pci-stub is simply to use it to prevent xhci-hcd from
claiming the device on the host, so the VM can see it in a "pristine"
state.  You'll of course need to bind it to vfio-pci prior to assigning to
the guest.  Try it and see if it helps.  Thanks,

Alex