[vfio-users] NVIDIA GPU Passthrough to Win10 - Driver Disabled (Code 43)

Steven Bell stv.bell07 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 01:39:56 UTC 2016

Hey Alex,

I really appreciate all your help and your quick responses (and everyone
else too, thanks!).

I have found a Utility from MSI that will detect if there is an updated
version of the my card's firmware, but it won't run on the VM (I assume
it's looking for some version bit for Win10_64bit that just isn't set).

So I'm left with having to physically remove the GPU from the host,
re-install it in my Windows desktop, then run the utility in the hopes that
it's got a firmware update (likely, since I don't think I've ever flashed
it before), and that that update enables it to function with UEFI.

If this doesn't work, I'll look into patching the kernel. I'm already using
kernel 4.7 from the rawhide repo so as to enable quirks for ACS for the
Skylake processor I'm using. I don't know how to go about patching the
kernel so I'll put that off as my last resort if I can't get the OVMF
working with this last try.

I do have two questions for you though, Alex. Would completely disabling
the IGD help in anyway? It's not really necessary in my setup since the
host is headless and the IGD just provides a physical terminal if ever SSH
becomes unreachable.

Also, for the OVMF, I see two UEFI x86_64 modes available when I create a
virtual machine:

UEFI x86_64: /usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd
UEFI x86_64 /usr/share/edk2/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd

I don't understand why there's two or what the difference is between them.
All my tests have been using the first one (pure-efi). Am I likely to see
different results if I try with the OVMF_CODE.fd one?

Off to play musical PCIe slots. Will post another update later.

Steven

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 9:11 PM, Alex Williamson <alex.williamson at redhat.com