[vfio-users] [Virt-Manager]Unable to install Nvidia driver (crash during installation)

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 15:30:48 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:57 AM, Berillions <berillions at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a big problem when i want to install the Nvidia driver on my
> Windows 10 VM.
> The VM's creation and installation of Windows 10 is correct. I can use it
> without problem.
>
> But during the installation of Nvidia driver, I have a BSOD with this
> error message :
>
> *SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED *
> but KVM is hidden in my .xml (see pastebin)
>
> I give you the pastebin which have these informations :
> - Boot kernel line
> - How i install Win10 on the VM
> - Graphic card
> - Libvirt xml
>
> http://pastebin.com/rXsW3PyY

a) Add a modprobe.d entry to add the ignore_msrs options to kvm, ex:

# cat /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf
options kvm ignore_msrs=1

b) Hiding kvm is not enough, you also need to mask hyper-v extensions to
avoid a code43.  Add within the <hyperv> section:

<vendor_id state='on' value='0123456789ab'/>

(or some other random 12-char string)