[vfio-users] Mobo reccommendations/suggestions ?

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 15:42:55 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Samuel Holland <samuel at sholland.org> wrote:

> On 06/17/2016 02:00 PM, Kajim Shanti wrote:
>
>> If i decide to replace the mobo, which one would you reccommend as
>> giving  the least problems for devices passthrough?
>>

> ASRock generally has a good reputation for not breaking VT-d. Be aware
> that any motherboard you buy with multiple PCIe x16 ports will have them
> all in the same IOMMU group.

This is why the continuous recommendations for High End Desktop Processors
and Xeon E5, where this is not the case.  Just be aware that standard
Core-i3/5/7 are going to group all the processor root ports together, which
either limits your configurations or requires the acs override patch.  The
latter, I don't consider supportable.  There are plenty of usable
configurations available for Core processors, but for more than one
discrete GPU, you're going to need to use PCH-based root ports.