[vfio-users] Small patch for those that have nVidia cards and want to easily use LibVirt.

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 17:48:00 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 11:42 AM, Corey Larson <corey at eatrunco.de> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016, at 06:56 AM, Alex Williamson wrote:
>
> There are definitely easier ways to do this than recompiling QEMU.  I
> favor a wrapper script such that you simply replace the <emulator> in the
> domain XML with the wrapper and it works automatically, something like:
>
> $ cat /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm-hv-vendor
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/bin/qemu-kvm \
> `echo "\$@" | sed 's|hv_time|hv_time,hv_vendor_id=KeenlyKVM|g'`
>

> I was going to be trying this approach soon:
> https://libvirt.org/drvqemu.html#qemucommand. Is there any reason to
> prefer this scripting approach over the XML approach?

<qemu:arg> is inherently evil.  You end up specifying two -cpu args, the
one libvirt generates and the one you specific in the qemucommand (which is
opaque to libvirt) and you hope that qemu selects the one you want.  Using
virt-manager to fiddle with cpu options might become meaningless, we don't
know whether qemu merges all cpu options together or only takes the last
(we could look, but it's probably unexpected and therefore undefined and
could change at any release).