[vfio-users] Trying to get VFIO working on my laptop

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Mon May 9 15:45:22 UTC 2016

On Mon, 9 May 2016 12:35:18 +1000
Daurnimator <quae at daurnimator.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get windows working inside QEMU on my laptop with
> passthrough of my gfx card.
> However, I seem to be running getting the infamous code 43 from the
> nvidia driver.
> Screenshot of device manager: https://i.imgur.com/YA2baaW.png
> The solutions I've found online so far don't seem to help, so I'm
> posting to this list.

Pretty much expected for Optimus laptops, there's all sorts of ACPI
glue that makes an Optimus GPU different from a discrete NVIDIA GPU.
And as soon as I say this someone will chime in and claim they've made
it work on their system and it will either be an irrelevant comparison
or they won't provide sufficient details to be worthwhile.  I've spent
a little bit of time hacking on a Lenovo W520 and have never gotten
past the Code43 issue (though I can assign the IGD now with the patches
proposed upstream).  Good luck,

Alex