[vfio-users] Recommended GPU

Dik .... dik23 at hotmail.com
Thu May 12 15:04:40 UTC 2016

Priceless!!

Thanks Okky

________________________________
From: Okky Hendriansyah <okky.htf at gmail.com>
Sent: 12 May 2016 15:47:21
To: Dik ....
Cc: vfio-users at redhat.com
Subject: Re: [vfio-users] Recommended GPU

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 7:24 PM, Dik .... <dik23 at hotmail.com<mailto:dik23 at hotmail.com>> wrote:

I currently have a R9 290x (Hawaii) "working" but it has issues related to this bug covered by this patch: https://goo.gl/DI9cvH

The patch was implemented in QEMU 2.4 and I'm running 2.5. While this patch does seem to help I still have problems. After I shutdown the VM I'm often unable to suspend or shutdown the host. Amongst other symptoms lspci and lshw both hang giving no output. I had none of these issues with an old 7950 I had installed before the 290x.

I've come to the conclusion that the 290x is worth more to me on eBay than in my machine. Question is would I be better off with nVidia and if so does anyone have any feedback with regard to GTX 970 and 980 cards?

Thanks in advance

Hi Dik,

I have only  used R9 270X when I was trying to passhtrough it on Xen and it worked flawlessly. But then I was intrigued to NVIDIA's rich feature set, so I gambled myself trade my R9 270X with GTX 770.

Xen could not pass the GPU at the time, so I tried for the first time KVM/VFIO approach. It went success using VGA/legacy mode but then UEFI/OVMF way emerged. I changed my QEMU script and NVIDIA still proved to be quite stable to be passed through to guest VM, although with some workarounds like hiding KVM CPUID and Hyper-V custom vendor ID needs to be addressed to tame the recent NVIDIA driver. Kudos to Alex Williamson for this [1]. Since then, I always upgrade myself with NVIDIA.

These cards have been personally tested by me under KVM/VFIO and all of them supports UEFI thus OVMF approach:
1.) NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 (Inno3D)
2.) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (Gigabyte)
3.) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (ASUS)
4.) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (Gigabyte)