[vfio-users] win10 & system thread exception

Okky Hendriansyah okky.htf at gmail.com
Sun May 15 10:56:29 UTC 2016

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Torbjorn Jansson <
torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se> wrote:

> Hello all.

Hi Torbjorn,

got a few questions regarding win10, gpu passthru and the config of the vm,
> but first thing first.
>
> my first attempts at passing thru my old gtx570 only worked once and
> second boot always resulted in a hardlock of host.
>
> now i have replaced it with a gtx970 and things work much better.
> my host is running fedora 22 so it only have qemu 2.3.1.
> this means i have to use the old style libvirt settings of hiding kvm and
> so on to get the nvidia drivers working.

So first things first, care to elaborate on your host specs? I assume that
you were doing the UEFI/OVMF approach on passing through the GPU?

this works just fine, so my next step was to see if i can get a newer
> version of qemu and use the hv_vendor_id workaround instead.
> checked out the stable-2.5 branch from git and compiled it and setup the
> wrapper scrips as documented in previous mails on this list and then edited
> the libvirt xml file to point to the right wrapper script.
>
> vm booted just fine but at this stage i still have the old hyperv and kvm
> settings turned off.
> since hv_vendor_id is supposed to make that not needed i tried to turn
> them back on again and as soon as i did win10 crashes at boot with system
> thread exception.
> it doesnt matter which one i turn back on again, just one is enough to
> cause a crash.
> i tried each one in order to see if i could find the one causing it, but
> any single option of those is enough to cause the crash.
>
> i suspect this crash only happens when hv_vendor_id is specified.

Please share your libvirt XML and your runtime QEMU command line (ps -ef |
grep qemu) when the guest runs.

any advice on how to get win10 to boot without system thread exception with
> hv_vendor_id specified and the hyperv and kvm options turned on?
> i read something about x2apic but i don't fully understand what to do.
>
> i also tried to change cpu model to core2duo with no success.
> do we know what driver is causing the system thread exception?
> anyone analyzed the crashdump via a debugger?

What are your VirtIO driver version that you used for the boot drive? Some
version crashes or make the guest slow.

Best regards,
Okky Hendriansyah