[vfio-users] Full set of (runtime) scripts for VFIO + Qemu CLI

Melvin Vermeeren mail at mel.vin
Mon May 16 16:03:01 UTC 2016

Hi guys,

Short version:
https://git.mel.vin/melvin/scripts/tree/master/qemu

Long version:
In my previous mail[1] I promised I would send updates to this mailing list
when I made progress with runtime switching and such.

Today I finally got around to reworking all my local scripts into something
clean.

Upon login, it asks you what card you want to use for the X session. It then
configures all bindings and such and launches X. From the X session you can
launch the VM using the Qemu scripts.

What's special is that runtime switching is possible, although a restart of X
is needed. If you close the X session and return to the tty, you can select
your option again. This means you can easily and quickly switch between GPUs.

I did the first testing on my system again and everything seems solid. Workflow
is smooth. Literally the only con is that X needs to be restarted, but I doubt
X can handle dynamic device and screen attachment. To make that issue more
complicated OpenGL libraries need to changed (mesa vs nvidia) which is also
handled by the scripts.

Check out the gitlab repository[2] for more information, it's public and can
be cloned over HTTPS. It runs on my own server, so try again later if it's
down or otherwise unreachable.

Regards,

Melvin.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/vfio-users/2015-August/msg00020.html