[vfio-users] VFIO and random host crashes

Colin Godsey crgodsey at gmail.com
Wed May 18 14:47:11 UTC 2016

I’ve been running a dual gaming VM rig (2x dedicated GPU) for a little bit
now, and everything works perfectly except when both VMs are under load,
after an hour or so I get a hard crash and/or reboot. It will either reboot
itself, or will hang so bad the physical ‘reset’ button on the box doesnt
work.

There is 0 evidence in the linux logs about the crash, I literally just see
one of a few standard cron jobs as the syslog, then the next line is the
kernel boot/start-up. Only real evidence I get is that- rarely I can hear
windows crash first. Or windows will crash and Ill get maybe another second
or 2 of ’top’ before the whole system goes down. I find it extremely odd
that there’s some sort of (albeit fast) degradation, but absolutely nothing
interesting in the logs.

So, I’m pretty sure it’s something hardware related- either PSU or my mobo
is crap and is underpowered somewhere. During load, there are about 5
drives, 2 GTX GPUs, and GBe (~200mbps) all under constant load, so it seems
likely it could be something chipset related.

*So my question is really: is there ANY kind of kernel/vfio software level
issue that could cause this crash? Or does this just sound like hardware?*
I’ve tried several different power configurations at this point, I just
want to be as sure as possible it’s hardware before i start replacing more
things =\

This is an up to date Ubuntu Xenial, not really running anything special.
I’ve gotten away with running my VMs almost as pure as possible, no funny
workarounds or anything. OVMF, Windows 10, hyper-v flags. Skylake i7 @
z170M.