[vfio-users] GPU Passthrough over Thunderbolt 3 results in tearing

Alexander Kissinger arexxk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 20:28:47 UTC 2016

Hi, I need help. I'm attempting to pass a GPU to a Windows VM over
Thunderbolt 3. I've tested with various hardware, including:

Dell XPS 13 9350

Intel Skullcanyon NUC

NVIDIA GTX 970

NVIDIA GTX 760

ATI RX 470

My write up is here, currently:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wd_9URChNkBv8Zw3Dn3Jtx1utVxcgjH_7fnHdUfVahk/edit?usp=sharing

Basically it sort of works. When I boot the VM, I can run one graphically
intensive application once, and every subsequent application starts to
tear, create, artifacts, and the NVIDIA driver will crash after some time,
even on the desktop.

Changing the Windows TDR registry value to 10 will prevent the NVIDIA
driver from crashing, but applications will still tear and become
unresponsive.

I'm thinking that it has to do with the fact that I'm passing the VM the
GPU and HD audio devices instead of the Thunderbolt 3 controller.
Therefore, the VM thinks these are PCIe devices connected to a normal PCIe
bridge and isn't utilizing any Thunderbolt 3 specific drivers. Does anyone
have any input?

Thanks!