[vfio-users] Nvidia Code 43 on Fedora 24 host and Windows 10 guest.

Thomas Lindroth thomas.lindroth at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 02:04:01 UTC 2016

On 10/05/2016 03:46 AM, Alex Williamson wrote:
> If you want to send me your ROM file, I'll compare to mine and see
> whether it works with my card (not sure whether it should or not given
> different vendors).  Thanks,

This conversation from irc explains where that strip.rom file comes from.

<tulphoon> Hello. I've extracted ROM file from my card and i would like to apply UEFI "patch" to it. How should i do it? I don't want to use nvflash directly on the card.
<tulphoon> My card is MSI GTX 660, and i've got the "patch" file from this thread https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=274331.0
<tulphoon> Basically i want to merge the two files (if that's even possible) and have single EFI compatible file in the end.
<tholin>   I see no mentioning of "patch" in that thread. It looks like just a .rom file. Use that rom instead of the one you dumped.
<tulphoon> That one doesn't qualify as rom tho.
<tulphoon> at least, EfiRom -d throws out error: 3001
<tholin>   looks like you are right, it's some metadata format
<tulphoon> but i don't want to nvflash it tho.
<tulphoon> Unless that's the last solution
<tholin>   the real vbios is embedded in it. It starts at byte offset 1536 and I suppose it's 128K big like most vbios.
<tulphoon> probably the nvflash thingy is able to strip the thign and make it work.
<tulphoon> the thing*
<tholin>   try running this on it "dd if=NV287MH.2K0 of=strip bs=1 skip=1536 count=131072"
<tulphoon> okay, gimme a sec.
<tholin>   the vbios rom-parser can parse the resultant file
<tulphoon> holy fuck
<tulphoon> you are a genius sir.
<tulphoon> wait.
<tulphoon> Okay, the rom is working and has EFI support.
<tulphoon> but i'm still getting Code 43 on my Win 10 VM.
<tulphoon> I'll investigate further tomorrow though. Huge thank you for help tholin :)
<tholin>   np

Perhaps the real rom is larger than 128K? That seems unlikely.
At least you can recreate that stripping and get the same rom.