[vfio-users] Passthrough USB PCI Controller

Jayme Howard g.prime at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 14:30:52 UTC 2016

I'm doing exactly this with no significant problem.  The way I handle it is
that I've got a script that binds the specific card to vfio-pci at runtime,
and I call that as a part of my startup script for the VM.

/usr/local/bin/vfio-bind
#!/bin/bash

modprobe vfio-pci

for dev in "$@"; do
        vendor=$(cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/vendor)
        device=$(cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/device)
        if [ -e /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/driver ]; then
                echo $dev > /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/driver/unbind
        fi
        echo $vendor $device > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/new_id
done

Then I just add "-device vfio-pci,host=<address>" to the args to qemu.
Works like a charm.  The script is called with the format "0000:06:00.0",
the args to qemu are "06:00.0".  Your address may vary, of course.