[vfio-users] Passthrough USB PCI Controller

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Tue Oct 25 18:32:30 UTC 2016

On 10/25/16 16:30, Jayme Howard wrote:
> I'm doing exactly this with no significant problem.  The way I handle it
> is that I've got a script that binds the specific card to vfio-pci at
> runtime, and I call that as a part of my startup script for the VM.
>
> /usr/local/bin/vfio-bind
> #!/bin/bash
>
> modprobe vfio-pci
>
> for dev in "$@"; do
>         vendor=$(cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/vendor)
>         device=$(cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/device)
>         if [ -e /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/driver ]; then
>                 echo $dev > /sys/bus/pci/devices/$dev/driver/unbind
>         fi
>         echo $vendor $device > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/new_id
> done
>
> Then I just add "-device vfio-pci,host=<address>" to the args to qemu.
> Works like a charm.  The script is called with the format
> "0000:06:00.0", the args to qemu are "06:00.0".  Your address may vary,
> of course.

I posted a kernel patch for this, and CC'd you guys on it. If you could
test it, that would be great.

The intended use is that you keep your current pci-stub.ids=... options,
but add pci-stub.except=0000:03:00.0,... for those devices that you want
pci-stub to ignore. This will cause 0000:03:00.0 to be bound by the
appropriate host driver, while the rest of the ID- and class-matched
devices will be claimed by pci-stub (and therefore they'll be eligible
for assignment, assuming all other conditions are met).

If I misunderstood the original problem (~ having two identical PCI USB
controllers and intending to assign only one of them), then my bad.

Thanks
Laszlo