[vfio-users] GTX1060 Passthrough Error Code 43

Robert Coldbird gentleman.trilby at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 01:03:47 UTC 2016

Turns out that some host mainboards are extremely picky about interrupts.
After several days of investigating and debugging, I've discovered that to
get the GTX1060 going in my VM, I had to do a trifold of things:

1. Hide KVM in my virtxml.
2. Rename the hyperv cpu id to "none".
3. Right after installing the NVidia driver, I had to mod the registry for
both the GPU and the HDMI sound card to use MSI interrupts.

The deciding factor, or rather the unknown in this situation was number 3,
as the first two are well documented and known to be required for NVidia
graphic cards to operate properly on the NVidia proprietary driver.

Didn't think though that number 3 would be yet another requirement, as its
often just mentioned as an optional thing to do to get rid of HDMI audio
slowdowns.

Fact remains though, without number 3 the graphic card would not come up
successfully, and instead bluescreen.

I guess this thread can be considered as solved now, although I really wish
that this hint would of been part of the vfio blog's mentions.