[vfio-users] Nvidia code 43 with Ubuntu 16.04 host

Simon Ye sye737 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 21:28:59 UTC 2016

I'm trying to use a Windows 10 Enterprise guest but keep getting error 43
with my Nvidia 750Ti card. I have set the kvm hidden state flag and well as
overriden the vendor_id flag via a wrapper script as suggested by other
users on this mailing list:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 \
  `echo "\$@" | sed 's|hv_relaxed|hv_relaxed,hv_vendor_id=KeenlyKVM|g'`

Similarly I have tried removing everything from the hyperv tag section as
well as ensuring there isn't any hypervclock timer tag. Unfortunately no
combination of hyperv settings seems to bypass Code 43. This isn't a
hardware problem because passthrough works fine with an Arch Linux guest.
The full xml is located here http://pastebin.com/3zta7eW1. I cannot place
the vendor_id flag in the xml because it is validated in the Ubuntu
package, but as mentioned above I am interdicting the command line args.
This made me suspect that the Ubuntu packages were too outdated, so could
that be the reason?

In Ubuntu 16.04 the package versions are:
libvirt: 1.3.1
qemu-kvm: 2.5
virt-manager: 1.3.2

Currently running kernel: 4.4.0-37