[vfio-users] Nvidia code 43 with Ubuntu 16.04 host

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 18:00:39 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 11:47 AM, Will Marler <will at wmarler.com> wrote:

> Simon, are you able to boot your VM with GPU passthrough and no Code 43
> errors without enabling any hyperv features? Do this first, then move on to
> enabling Hyper V.
>
> "I cannot place the vendor_id flag in the xml because it is validated in
> the Ubuntu package" -- what does this mean? Is there something specific to
> the Ubuntu package that is checking the XML syntax and saying "vendor_id is
> invalid?" When I got around to enabling HyperV on my VM, I ran into a
> similar XML "validation" situation. But this was on Arch, not Ubuntu.
> Ultimately I traced the problem down to putting a tag in the wrong
> subsection. I'm afraid I didn't take notes, and don't remember the
> specifics.

It means his version of libvirt is too old to recognize the tag and
generates an error parsing the xml because it's unknown.  The referenced
xml doesn't include anything that would trigger hyper-v afaict, so the
vendor id should not even be necessary, but the resulting process args (ps
aux | grep qemu) would confirm.  Note that Code 43 is a generic error code
for the driver, it can also be generated when, for instance, an aux power
plug is left disconnected.