[vfio-users] VM Won't boot with 2 PCIE 1x cards installed.

buildacct xochipilli4 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 10 04:03:02 UTC 2016

Maybe a bit of a stupid question, but did you check in your motherboard
manual and make sure the two cards are in non-IRQ sharing slots? On
skylake the x1 port to slot assignment is hard wired so they likely
share IRQs with another device (that's a good thing on skylake .. but
not if you've got IRQ problems). Should be a table in your manual .. if
not I can send you the spec. but it's not very friendly.

I have a skylake system and run the sorts of setups your running using
q35. When it's not 5am .. I can post the script for you to try as you
don't seem to use q35 and switching is a big job. Until then try a
couple of kernel command line args e.g. pci=noacpi or pci=biosrq as
they'll mess around the irq ordering (and probably get different ones
sharing). And absolutely make sure that Native ASPM is off. I bind
pci-stub to my root bridges (fine on skylake as the firmware not
software does it all)..

Somebody with a more definitive answer will likely turn up first anyway.
V1 devices don't work reliably .. I'll say that for sure.

Just a couple of thoughts .. can help more when it's not 5am!