[vfio-users] Mitigating CPU Stutter

Jesse Kennedy freebullets0 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 03:28:09 UTC 2016

Does anyone have advice on how to mitigate qemu guest CPU stutter? It
usually manifests as audio crackle or dropped frames. I followed the advice
in this thread
<https://www.redhat.com/archives/vfio-users/2015-August/msg00100.html> and
set my CPU governor to performance, which seems to help a tiny bit.

Would the next step be to isolate CPUs from the scheduler and pin qemu to
them? Is there a way to do this after the kernel has booted? What would be
a good pinning configuration to maximize gaming performance while
maintaining host responsiveness? Is hyperthreading worth keeping on? Is it
a good idea to pin the host to one core and the guest to another core that
maps to the same hyperthreaded CPU (i.e. host on CPU0, guest on CPU4)?

Thanks