[vfio-users] Mitigating CPU Stutter

Does anyone have advice on how to mitigate qemu guest CPU stutter? It usually manifests as audio crackle or dropped frames. I followed the advice in this thread and set my CPU governor to performance, which seems to help a tiny bit.

Would the next step be to isolate CPUs from the scheduler and pin qemu to them? Is there a way to do this after the kernel has booted? What would be a good pinning configuration to maximize gaming performance while maintaining host responsiveness? Is hyperthreading worth keeping on? Is it a good idea to pin the host to one core and the guest to another core that maps to the same hyperthreaded CPU (i.e. host on CPU0, guest on CPU4)?

Thanks