[vfio-users] VM loses mouse

Christopher Thompson Chris.Thompson1 at synopsys.com
Tue Apr 25 11:45:03 UTC 2017

This sounds like the PS/2 driver/emulated hardware controller gets itself in knots. PS/2 isn't hot plug, so if something goes wrong it's generally stuffed until a reboot, which sounds like your issue.

One common option is to use Synergy, which passes the keyboard and mouse over the network, you set up the synergy service running on the Linux host, with it configured to map an edge of the screen to your Windows VM, then when the Windows VM is running and the synergy client connects you can move the mouse over that edge of the screen and it will appear on Windows (if you have multiple monitors this looks like the mouse seamlessly goes from one screen to the other).

Keyboard focus follows whatever system the mouse is active on. To pass the mouse back just take it back off the same screen edge. The edge->target machine relationship is programmable so you can have all edges go to the same machine, or some go to different machines, etc.

Not ideal, but maybe this could be an acceptable workaround?

It's probably also worth someone investigating the PS/2 code in KVM/QEMU, if you feel like compiling it yourself then you could investigate yourself where the mouse gets dropped.

Cheers,
Chris