[vfio-users] VM loses mouse

Zycorax Tokoroa zycorax at phoxden.xyz
Sun Apr 30 23:32:53 UTC 2017

> Now it passes the syntax check, but I get a "permission denied" error
> on the /dev/input/... line:
>
> Error starting domain: internal error: process exited while connecting
> to monitor: 2017-04-30T23:08:12.041484Z qemu-system-x86_64: -object
> input-linux,id=kbd,evdev=/dev/input/event3,grab_all=on: Could not open
> '/dev/input/event3': Permission denied
>
> Any thoughts? virt-manager requires root so I don't see where this is
> coming from.

What virt-manager use is irrelevant as VMs are launched under
libvirt-qemu. You need to add that to the input group, which is the
owner of /dev/input/ devices or chown them before starting the VM. Note
that you'll also need to edit /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf to allow those
devices to be bound to in the section that allows /dev/vfio/ and other
devices.