[vfio-users] Onboard sound card to my VM

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 03:47:44 UTC 2017

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 9:34 PM, Brett Peckinpaugh <bp10 at erylflynn.com>
wrote:

> Name one, I have looked. Everyone I saw was an old pci e version.

What makes the onboard audio device special vs a plugin pci-e board?  What
makes the graphics card audio special vs a pci-e board?  If the host driver
doesn't work well with the iommu, you can often work around that with
iommu=pt to enable passthrough mode.  However, when that device is assigned
to a VM, the guest driver can be completely iommu incompetent.  I won't say
there aren't devices out there that still manage to do the wrong thing, but
I also don't think pci-e audio cards can be claimed to be a problem class
of devices.  It's news to me if they are.  I would hope that any pci-e
sound card with mainline kernel drivers does dma sufficiently correctly to
work with an iommu.  Most onboard and graphics card sound chips use
snd_intel_hda on the host and work well with iommu, find a plugin card that
uses that driver.