[vfio-users] Awful boot times, current OVMF to blame?

Martin Schrodt martin at schrodt.org
Sun Aug 27 19:17:41 UTC 2017

Hi John,

On 07/24/2017 06:18 PM, John Koelndorfer wrote:
> When I start the VM, it takes maybe 10-15 seconds for the GPU output to
> display anything on the monitor. In fact, if I want to get into the EFI
> setup I need to start mashing escape before anything even comes up. When
> I do finally get something, the VM is stuck on the TianoCore logo for
> another 30 seconds to a minute (haven't timed it).
>
> Additionally, all of the CPUs that are assigned to the VM are pegged at
> near 100% until Windows finally starts to boot.
>
> I've also noticed that boot times improve if I assign fewer cores or
> less memory to the VM.

I have exactly this problem ever since I set my VM up in the end of
2016. After powering on the VM, all the assigned cores go to 100% for a
while, and then it boots.

It is not stuck on the Tianocore logo for *that* long, though.

I can confirm the lowering CPU count improves it.

I am also on Arch Linux, and tried several version of OVMF, (the one
from the official arch repo from back then, a git-Version from back
then, as well as from Spring 2017) to no avail, so I gave up on it.

I would really be happy to find a solution, though...

In what mode do you pass the CPU? hast-passthrough, or something else?
Mine is "Skylake-Client".

Martin