[vfio-users] z370 iommu groupings

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Mon Dec 18 04:00:10 UTC 2017

No matter what you get I would advise against getting a non-server board
where you won't be getting support for what they consider to be a server
feature, someone with a "gamer" board who says IOMMU works may have a
different revision than what is currently being sold - getting it
working is always a fluke at best,

What are your goals for this build? What programs will you be running?

Honestly 4 dual slot cards on the same board is a really tall order and
wouldn't leave you with space for peripheral cards if you want real USB
controllers instead of emulated controllers.
You might consider buying a GPU type PCI-e expansion system such as the
ones from cyclone microsystems which are dual slot spaced and would
leave you with enough room for other cards.
http://www.cyclone.com/products/expansion_systems/600-2711.php

If you don't need x86-64 and if you really need to max out the bus on
your video cards I would consider a POWER9 machine such as the TALOS 2,
the company who makes it has released firmware for other boards that has
excellent IOMMU groups and they actually reply to my technical support
emails.
https://raptorcs.com/

With two CPU present you would have 4 PCI-e 4.0 x16 slots with one of
those x8 electrical although they aren't dual slot spaced so you would
need either an expansion system or single slot cards such as the Radeon
Pro WX series.
POWER9 is about to be released and it has a variety of advantages such
as PCI-e 4.0 and 4 SMT threads per core for sforza.