[vfio-users] z370 iommu groupings

Torbjorn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Mon Dec 18 13:50:05 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-18 05:00, Taiidan at gmx.com wrote:
> No matter what you get I would advise against getting a non-server board where
> you won't be getting support for what they consider to be a server feature,
> someone with a "gamer" board who says IOMMU works may have a different revision
> than what is currently being sold - getting it working is always a fluke at best,
>
> What are your goals for this build? What programs will you be running?

i agree, a server board is probably better.
when i upgraded my linux box i ended up getting a suprmicro server board and a
xeon processor, found a xeon processor at a good price so couldn't resist, 10
cores plus hyper threading.

yes a xeon or similar processor don't have igd but that's not a huge problem
and maybe even a good thing.
the supermicro board i got have ipmi and with it a built in vga card
i don't use the built in vga myself but it allows remote control over ipmi (or
bmc or whatever it is called)
so no built in graphics in processor is not an issue.

also compared to my old i5 setup, with the new xeon i get a much better iommu
groupings so all slots can be used with vms and i don't have to fiddle around
with putting the cards in the exact right slots and order for it to work.

also with a server board you get the server features already there and don't
have to do what i did and contact the mb support for a custom made bios that
still didn't solve my problems (long story)