[vfio-users] Stuttering audio when passing through USB controller

Bronek Kozicki brok at spamcop.net
Sat Feb 4 08:51:43 UTC 2017

On 03/02/2017 19:53, Tmplt wrote:
> I saw on an older thread here that passing a USB controller through and
> using a USB soundcard through it solved that users audio issues. I tried
> that myself by adding
>
>     <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='no'>
>       <source>
>         <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x14' function='0x0'/>
>       </source>
>       <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02'
> function='0x0'/>
>     </hostdev>
>
> to the .xml-file, but I can still hear frequent audio stutters akin to
> my quoted thread. Am I passing the controller incorrectly? The device
> I'm trying to play through is a FiiO e10k DAC which works without issue
> on the host and on bare-metal Windows 8.1.

More likely your Windows guest is suffering from large latency, since
most USB DACs have small buffers and require (relatively) precise timing
of audio stream sent from the USB port. You can check this by comparing
http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml and
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon when running on guest vs. bare
metal .

If you are running nvidia card, then disabling PowerMizer might help ,
see this thread
https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/solved-dropouts-cracks-pops-on-windows-7-and-nvidia-gfx-card.126080/

You may also want to disable hypervisor CPU policy, as documented by
Alex here
http://vfio.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/how-to-improve-performance-in-windows-7.html
. This setting worked on my Windows 10 guest to significantly reduce its
latency, its applicability is obviously not limited to Windows 7 only

B.