[vfio-users] Crossfire - has anyone tried it?

Friedrich Oslage friedrich at oslage.de
Sun Feb 12 10:15:57 UTC 2017

Crossfire requires a mainboard chipset which supports crossfire. Qemu
can emulate a 440fx or q35 chipset, neither of them are listed in AMD's
compatibility chart [1].

AMD stopped using bridging ports a few years ago and switched to XDMA
for GPU intercommunication. That means all communication is done via the
PCI Express port, which requires quite a bit of support in the mainboard
chipset. If would probably be easier to get an older Crossfire version,
one which still uses interconnect bridges, or NVIDIA SLI, to work but
both of them still require some level of support within the mainboard
chipset.

Regards,
Friedrich

[1] http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Crossfire-Chart.aspx