[vfio-users] Huge performance decrease in VM

Hristo Iliev hristo at hiliev.eu
Fri Jan 6 15:44:26 UTC 2017

Hi,

I don't know if this is of any relevance to your case, but recently I
have been pulling my hair over an issue with the intel_pstate driver in
the newer Arch Linux kernels. The problem is that the CPU gets stuck at
the lowest frequency and nothing can bring it out of that state. As a
result, my Windows VM starts lagging terribly as the latency of the
emulated interrupts raises significantly.

You can check with powertop or i7z the frequency and if all cores are
suspiciously stuck at the same low frequency (1.2 GHz on my i7-5820K) no
matter the system load, then switching the governor to "performance"
might resolve it:

sudo cpupower frequency-set -g performance

In my case, this results in the CPU getting stuck at the nominal
frequency and restoring the governor to "powersave" does nothing to
bring it out of that state. Which is fine, given how often I have to
reboot due to kernel upgrades :)

Kind regards,

Hristo