[vfio-users] Interrupt Handling: Regression or config change?

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Thu Jan 12 18:49:06 UTC 2017

On 01/12/17 19:21, Ede Wolf wrote:
> Besides my fighting with git, is it correct, that the working kernel is
> labeld "bad", while the non working one "good"? May very well possible
> for the workflow of dissect, just want to confirm, please
>
>> git bisect start
>> git bisect bad v4.5.4
>> git bisect good v4.6.1

No. git-bisect always locates a regression, that is, the first commit
that introduces a bug. Where things go from right to wrong. If this
matches your situation (old version works, new version breaks), simply
use the "good" and "bad" command line arguments verbatim.

Now, if you are looking for a commit that fixes a known bug, i.e., old
version is broken, new version works, but you don't exactly know what
fixed it, then you have to invert the meanings. Whenever the commit
under testing works, you have to say "bad", and whenever it breaks, you
have to say "good". More modern git versions help automate this (for
less boggling of the mind) with "git bisect terms". (See the manual.)
With older git versions, git command aliases, shell aliases, or small
wrapper scripts can hide the confusion.

Given that you are facing a real regression, you should use the good/bad
terms verbatim. From your earlier email, "4.5.7" works, "4.6" breaks,
hence you should qualify the former with "good", and the latter with "bad".

Also, the word is "bisect", not "dissect".

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bisect
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dissect

git-bisect performs a binary search, halving commit ranges. Hence the
"bi" in "bisect".

Laszlo