[vfio-users] Need help with GPU Passthrough on Ryzen C6H + GTX 980 Ti + GTX 1060 6G

Thiago Ramon thiagoramon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 03:10:25 UTC 2017

I'm having a quite unique problem, and have exhausted all possibilities I
have found so far, after a couple weeks of attempts, so I've decided to
bother you guys with this.

My setup: Ryzen 7 1800X, Asus Crosshair VI Hero, NVidia GTX 980 Ti and
NVidia GTX 1060 6G
OS: Arch Linux, latest updates, mainline kernel (4.11.7-1-ARCH),
QEMU 2.9.0, libvirt 3.4.0

The problem, for all I can tell, is that the GPU is getting corrupted
somehow at or before reaching the BIOS/UEFI, getting reset and stuck on
mode D3, no matter which GPU I passthrough, boot options, SeaBIOS/OVMF,
chipset or connection to the PCI/PCIe bus.

Both GPUs are healthy and working perfectly under Linux, using the
proprietary NVidia drivers.

Things tried: Disabled D3 mode in vfio_pci, used pci_stub instead, disabled
NVidia driver and ran the VM from the console, multiple boot options
involving the IOMMU and KVM (but hey, any new ideas help)

I know the motherboard (in general, not this one specifically) can work
with GPU passthrough, as I already had contact with someone passing a GTX
1070 with it (though his other GPU is AMD).

Unless there's something I've overlooked, I probably need to gather more
in-depth information on what's going on with the GPU in the first moments
of the boot process, so if anyone knows of a good set of debug options for
QEMU, or if kernel tracing is better, please let me know.

Thanks for any help, and let me know if there's any extra info that could
help solve this puzzle.

Relevant logs and more details:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/6khu5i/need_help_with_gpu_passthrough_on_ryzen_c6h_gtx/