[vfio-users] Nvidia GTX970 overheat in game with vgapassthrough

Ivan Volosyuk ivan.volosyuk at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 11:40:33 UTC 2017

I was using KVM/QEMU vga-passthrough successfully for some time now and
haven't seen much issues with my configuration.Yesterday, I
installed PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS and I noticed something which looks
like GPU overheating issue:
Initially the game works fine. I noticed that GPU fan starts rotating when
a few seconds into the game. In about 5 to 10 minutes I start noticing
corruption on 3d models, and after a while entire screen can be filled with
a few huge triangles starting at the screen center. When I switch to
Windows 8.1 application menu sometimes I see corruption in form of small
random squares a few pixels in size:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8b6GsDnUyVic2FVdDRVbHM2Zjg

I was playing other games like, StarCraft2, H1Z1, CS:GO without a problem
before. It might be that the game stresses to much my graphic card. IDK.

I run qemu via shell script:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8b6GsDnUyViWHRCcVRWOUFuU2M

Linux localhost 4.11.4
QEMU emulator version 2.9.0
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz with water cooling
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX
970]

Guest:
Win8.1
MSI for GPU