[vfio-users] Nvidia GTX970 overheat in game with vgapassthrough

John Koelndorfer jkoelndorfer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 16:28:11 UTC 2017

Hi Ivan,

I also have a EVGA GTX 970 and have experienced similar issues with
graphical corruption and outright crashes. I was able to fix it by
installing MSI Afterburner and downclocking my GPU. I also set a custom
profile for fan control so that the GPU runs cooler.

The working configuration for me is to downclock memory and GPU by 100 MHz.
I have my fan set at a minimum of 30% and scale up as the temperature
increases. I didn't go through a very exhaustive process for testing what
the minimum downclock and fan speeds are, so you may want to play with it.
Note that just adjusting the fan didn't solve the issue for me. I suspect
that the actual issue is that they undervolted the GPU to make it run
cooler.