[vfio-users] Awful boot times, current OVMF to blame?

John Koelndorfer jkoelndorfer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 00:22:53 UTC 2017

An update:

The slow boot does not occur if I remove host devices from the virtual
machine (without any other configuration changes). It doesn't matter
whether GPU, USB, or both are passed in. Any device being passed in at all
triggers the problem, so it's something related to the physical device
passthrough I think.

An older version of OVMF did not help, nor did booting a non-Windows OS. I
tried two alternate versions of OVMF from here:
https://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=edk2-ovmf. One from
2016 November, one from 2016 April. I initially did my last VFIO setup in
2016 July.

I also tried the pc-i440fx machine, per Hristo's suggestion (though I tried
2.6, which was what my last configuration used).

Hristo, it seems your setup is very similar to mine, so I have a few
questions for you:

* Are you using libvirt?
* Could you send the qemu arguments for your VM?
* What are your kernel boot parameters?

My suspicion now is that libvirt is doing some extra configuration that I'm
not. I looked at my old libvirt XML file and nothing is jumping out at me,
so maybe it's a hardcoded default behavior.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, folks.