[vfio-users] Looking for recommendations for screen-switching

Patrick O'Callaghan poc at usb.ve
Wed Mar 22 11:29:53 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-03-22 at 08:35 +0000, buildacct wrote:
> That will be because I wasn't very clear so my apologies. It's part of
> qemu, and a very useful way of passing kb+m to and from your host and a
> passthrough context. You can search this list for input-linux but the
> scripty bit I use to pass it through looks as follows. Got some script
> that digs through /sys/class/input to find my keyboard as I have a
> corsair keyboard with lights, but you can probably just find your in
> /dev/input and replace the ${ev} below. I need the virtio devices (there
> are win drivers in the Fedora driver iso) to prevent problems with key
> ups during games.
>
> OPTS="$OPTS -object input-linux,id=kbd,evdev=${ev},grab_all=yes,repeat=off"
> OPTS="$OPTS -object
> input-linux,id=mse,evdev=/dev/input/by-id/usb-Areson_USB_Device-event-mouse
> "
>
> OPTS="$OPTS -device
> virtio-keyboard-pci,addr=1d.0,multifunction=on,serial=SN0000 "
> OPTS="$OPTS -device
> virtio-mouse-pci,addr=1d.1,multifunction=on,serial=SN15471500079 "
>
> I think it's criminally underappreciated and underdocumented in qemu but
> maybe that's just me.  It's been in qemu since 2.7 I think so won't work
> with older versions. Switch contexts by pressing both ctrl keys so
> easily worked into however you change the screen too.

Thanks for that. I've ordered a new HDMI switch (same model recommended
by Nick S) which may solve the problem directly. Otherwise, I'll try
and follow your suggestion. I see that input-linux is not mentioned in
the man page for qemu. Is there any documentation (other than searching
this list)? Google doesn't seem to find much.

poc