[vfio-users] Newbie steps

Samuel Holland samuel at sholland.org
Sat Mar 11 23:51:07 UTC 2017

Hello,

On 03/11/17 07:24, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.blacklist=nvidia rd.blacklist=nouveau
> intel_iommu=on iommu=pt rd.driver.pre=vfio-pci
> vconsole.font=latarcyrheb-sun16 $([ -x /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param
> ] && /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param || :) rhgb quiet resume=U
> UID=1431e6d2-531e-46cd-8633-1cf878c6b2a1" audit=0
>
> (Note that I have the Nvidia proprietary driver so need to mask that
> as well as Nouveau).

rd.* options only matter inside the initramfs. Once your root filesystem
is mounted and udev is restarted, it will pick up the nvidia drivers
at that point. You need to mask nvidia and nouveau both in the initramfs
and once the system is booted.

Change rd.blacklist to modprobe.blacklist, and regenerate your GRUB config.

On 03/11/17 15:54, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On 11 March 2017 at 21:26, wiwitop wiwitop wrote:
>> Hi. You should try with the real ids of your gpu. The trick didn't
>> work with my AMD GPU, perhaps it's the same for you.
> I'm not sure what you mean by "real ids". How is this different from
> what I'm doing?

Specify the PCI IDs (vendor and product) as they appear in lspci -nn,
not with the really long string (replacing with the correct product
numbers for your card, of course):

options vfio-pci ids=10de:abcd,10de:1234

Then be sure to regenerate your initramfs.

Regards,
Samuel Holland