Re: [vfio-users] about hotplug of the IGD device

Hi Manuel:
Now what I want to do is that rebinding the GPU to the i915 drivers after having started the vm.
Do you have any ways or advices? Thanks.

At 2017-03-13 22:21:33, "Manuel Ullmann" <ullman alias posteo de> wrote: >> But I find a interesting thing, if I don't >> start the vm after GPU is bind to the vfio, GPU can still be rebind to >> the i915 driver. Do you know why? Thanks. > >As Alex’ blog [1] pointed out, vfio-pci is basically pci-stub plus >creating a vfio device node. pci-stub just prevents other drivers from >binding to the device. The vfio device node on the other hand makes the >device address space available for Guest OSes, but it does not touch the >device itself. So its address space (think of it as GPU ram + internal >buffer and registers) is still left in a pristine state until you bind >it to a VM. For that reason it makes perfectly sense, that you can >rebind it to i915, if you did not start any VM with VGA passthrough. > >Kind regards, >Manuel > >[1]: https://vfio.blogspot.de/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-3-host.html