[vfio-users] VM won't boot with GPU present

Patrick O'Callaghan poc at usb.ve
Thu Mar 16 13:02:32 UTC 2017

I have a Windows 10 VM working under virt-manager, with an Nvidia GPU
via vfio. This works well, except for booting. When I reboot Windows, I
get a blue screen diagnostic apparently complaining about an Nvidia
DLL. If I remove the Nvidia PCI devices with virt-manager, it boots
correctly. I can then add them again to the running system and
everything works until the next reboot.

When I originally configured the VM, I included the PCI devices from
the outset, i.e. before installing Windows. This is contrary to what
Alex recommends in his blog. Could this be the problem? If so, can I
fix it without starting all over again?

poc