Re: [vfio-users] issues about windows GPU drivers update after passthrough

Hi:
    Thank you for your advise. The guest system update is ok but graphic driver.
And when I manually update the graphic driver, it can not work too. I don't know
whether this is caused by the unknown problem of vfio or my mistakes while I
setting up my passthrough environment.

At 2017-03-17 00:28:45, "trigger-happy" <triggerhappyelite gmail com> wrote: >On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 6:44 PM, fulaiyang <fulaiyang 163 com> wrote: >> Hi: >> Thank you for your advise. I use the seabios to boot the guest and what >> I do is GPU passthrough. >> It may be different from yours. Do you have any other ways? > >Assuming that seabios, qemu and the linux kernel weren't updated between the >time your VM was working and the time it had problems, then the most likely >culprit is as you said, windows deciding to update the drivers. > >What you can do is to remove the GPU passthrough for now and add a virtual >graphics device (I suggest QXL) by adding '-vga qxl' to the qemu command line >and removing the '-nographic' command line option. > >From there, try updating windows completely, reboot if necessary and then >shut down the VM once everything is done. > >Afterwards, add the GPU passthrough again while retaining the '-vga qxl' option. >This should hopefully let windows display itself in the SDL window while showing >nothing through the GPU output. > >If everything boots up fine, reinstall/update your GPU drivers. If >everything goes >well, you should see something on the display connected to your GPU. If nothing >happens or the system hangs, then we'll have to try some other method. > > >> At 2017-03-16 14:22:20, "trigger-happy" <triggerhappyelite gmail com> wrote: >>>Apologies to everyone if this ends up becoming a new thread. I've been >>>subscribed to this mailing list under the digest format and didn't >>>realize it would be so awkward to reply to an individual message. >>> >>>>Yesterday my windows 10 guest suddenly turned to black screen, and >after >>>> rebooting windows 10, GPU didn't work. >>>>I find that the GPU drivers has been updated to the newest version by >>>> >windows 10 automatically and it doesn't work. >>>>And windows 7 has the same thing. However if I install the windows 10 >>>> >into the host machine derectly, the GPU driver >>>>can be updated to the newest version. If somebody encounter this >problem? >>> >>>Are you using UEFI (ovmf/edk2) for booting up your guest? Or is it >>>using the legacy MBR/BIOS method? If it's the former, you might want >>>to check what version of ovmf/edk2 you're using. I ran into this kind >>>of problem yesterday on my own setup after upgrading ovmf-git (I'm on >>>Arch linux). >>> >>>ovmf-git-21341.bd40dd27aa-1-x86_64 broke my setup and I had to do a >>>bit of hacking to build ovmf-git-18754.dc99315b87-1-x86_64 and get my >>>windows 10 guest to boot up again. >>> >>>James