Re: [vfio-users] Looking for recommendations for screen-switching

On 20 March 2017 at 12:36, Daniel Oram <daniel oram gmail com> wrote:
Try ddcutil

http://www.ddcutil.com/

Much more comprehensive. Using something like:

sudo modprobe i2c-dev
sudo ddcutil capabilities

To list any standard recognised capabilities for your monitor (it is up to date). You may have it but vpd may not be standardised and ddcutil gives you the tools to work that out if you have the patience.

I bought a KVM in the end ... and it's so awful I only use it as an HDMI switch and use the input-linux framework in qemu to switch the keyboard/mouse. USB switches do work, but only good ones will work with every device and udev can make a mess of rapidly switching devices in and out, especially if they have some sort of custom software as the device won't come back to the same location as it left. In Windows a mess is normal but it will probably get worse. HDMI switches may have limitations on max resolution, bandwidth and types of data so be careful when buying.

The input-linux framework can have the odd problem with missed key ups but they are all easily surmountable by attaching a USB or virtio keyboard device to the VM so are far preferable to hardware related limitations or problems of the switch and constant device plugging in the VMs. After all, that is one of the major motivations for using a VM.

Thanks, I'll look at that.

What do you mean exactly by "the input-linux framework"? I'm an old Linux hand but some of this stuff is new to me. Maybe it's just a question of terminology.

poc