[vfio-users] Host machine boot lockup with GPU - 2 NVidia GPUs

Robert Munteanu robert.munteanu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 10:09:23 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm trying to get GPU passthrough to work, but the host machine locks
up hard at boot time.

My hardware specs:

- Intel i5 6500 CPU
- MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
- MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Armor OC 8GB DDR5 256-bit Video Card
- Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB STRIX Video Card

I'm running openSUSE Tumbleweed with Kernel 4.10.3 .

I've done the following:

1. Added a new grub entry for vfio, boot line is

    linuxefi /boot/vmlinuz
root=UUID=280d6f04-6ad0-4647-96b9-580aec12bbdc  ${extra_cmdline}
resume=/dev/sda3 splash=silent quiet showopts intel_iommu=on

2. Added the vfio modules to initrd

/etc/modules-load.d/local.conf :

drm_kms_helper
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

3. Bound the 750Ti video card to vfio

/etc/modprobe.d/99-local.conf :

options vfio-pci ids=10de:1b81,10de:10f0

When I boot with this configuration ( after regenerating the initrd
and the grub2.cfg file ) the boot process hangs early. I took some
pictures of the screen, see the below link.

  http://imgur.com/a/egoMB

I added iommu=pt to the boot line, but that did not help ( note that
in the gallery above the first picture is iommu=pt and the second one
is without ).

I am using the nvidia proprietary driver and would like to keep doing so.

Removing the options vfio-pci ids=... line allows the boot process to
proceeed normally.

Any advice on how to unblock this would be very welcomed.

Thanks,

Robert

--
http://robert.muntea.nu/