[vfio-users] Does KVM support either NVidia grid cards or AMD virtual GPU?

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Mon May 1 03:17:15 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 8:51 PM, Nick S <nick.kvmhv at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know there is a project for Intel graphics. Anybody knows whether we
> have any support for the new GPU virtualization tech from either NVidia of
> AMD? I know I can pass the entire card to the guest, my question is whether
> some GPU virtualization is possible on one of these platforms where I can
> share the card between multiple guests. (Owner of a 4 GPU box here running
> out of PCI-e slots)

For NVIDIA, yes, Linux kernel v4.10 includes the VFIO Mediated Device
framework which was a collaborative development with NVIDIA, Red Hat, and
Intel to add vGPU support for both vendors.  You'll need at least QEMU 2.7
for certain features required by the vendor drivers.  libvirt 3.2.0 also
introduced basic support for management of VMs with pre-defined mdev
devices.  You can look at NVIDIA's documentation for their current Xen vGPU
offering to get an idea of which hardware products will be supported with
this (not GeForce).  I cannot speak to software availability from NVIDIA.

For AMD, theoretically they've taken an SR-IOV approach, so each vGPU would
be a typical Virtual Function.  Ideally this would require no special code
for KVM/VFIO.  SR-IOV does however require support in the Physical Function
driver to enable the VFs and I don't have any details on whether this code
is upstream yet.  I have no experience, direct or indirect, with AMD's
offering here.

Alex