[vfio-users] xwin crash in host system with more then 2 video cards.

Jim Bunch jim at jimbunchco.com
Fri May 19 05:31:34 UTC 2017

I am looking for some help.

Any time I add a third video card to the system the host system xwindows  will crash at random times and drop me to the command prompt.

I do not start in Xwin. Sometimes I can restart with startx sometimes I have to reboot. Hard power restart.

The primary card for the host system is a Nvidia K620 4k output

The first passthru card for Win7 VM is an Nvidia k4200 4k output

The third card  is one of three that I have tried  Nvidia K2000 or M4000 or AMD W5100 (any one of these cause a crash in the host Xwindows)

Mother board is a supermicro X10SRA-F

I had the same problem with an ASUS X99 Deluxe

CPU XEON 1630 V3

Also tried with an I7-5960

64GB 2133 ecc memory

OS Fedora 25 4.10.13-200.fc25.x86_64

I am using the Nvidia driver for Xwin on the host machine.

I have 4 VM's in the background two Ubuntu linux and two win7

The K4200 is attached to one of the win7 machines.

My grub file:

GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rhgb quiet intel_iommu=on pci-stub.ids=10de:11b4,10de:0e0a,1
0de:13ba,10de:0fbc rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau"
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
[jim at localhost ~]$ more /etc/sysconfig/grub