[vfio-users] How would you estimate my probability of a successful passthrough on this hardware?

Nick S nick.kvmhv at gmail.com
Wed May 31 17:24:17 UTC 2017

Hi vfio-users,

I am looking for expert opinions whether I will be able to successfully
passthrough a GPU on the following hardware:

1) CPU: i7-3770 (not K)
2) Motherboard: ga-b75m-d3h Gigabyte that claims to support VT-x and VT-d
but I was not able to find any success stories
3) Using Intel Graphics for host and either AMD or Nvidia GPU for guest. I
have plenty of options here, aiming for OVMF setup may be with Nvidia
1060gtx.

I already have a setup based on a Haswell-E CPU and trying to set up a
second PC on some older hardware I have. As I understand, this setup will
require ACS override that I did not have to apply for my Haswell-E
configuration. So, a couple of questions if it looks feasible:

1) What is the best place to find the ACS override patch for 4.10 kernel?
2) Should I expect any other complications compared to a relatively
straight forward Haswell-E setup where I also have OVMF guests and BIOS
host?

Thank you,
Nick