[vfio-users] Requesting USB Card Quad Bus advice

Steve Freitas sflist at ihonk.com
Tue Nov 7 06:58:12 UTC 2017

On 11/06/2017 07:01 PM, Marcial Ascencio wrote:
> Hi guys, i was planning to buy USB card with at least 2 usb ports to
> assign each one to each VM, so I'm asking some advice about a brand
> that works soft with Linux VFIO. Thank you so much in advance!

Hi Marcial,

The Sonnet Allegro Pro worked great for me:
https://amazon.com/Sonnet-Allegro-Pro-PCIe-card/dp/B00XPUHO10/

I pass three of the four controllers through to different VMs, no ACS
override necessary on my machine. VM reboots work without an issue. An
earlier post on this mailing list indicated problems with this card with
VM reboots, but that seems to have been resolved in more recent kernels.
My host runs Ubuntu 17.04, kernel 4.10.

FYI, this StarTech card apparently works on ESXi but it did not work for
me on KVM:
https://amazon.com/Express-SuperSpeed-Adapter-Dedicated-Channels/dp/B00HJZEA2S/

Steve